We are always looking for fixers and volunteers of all kinds!
At each repair session, we have a number of volunteers helping out in all manner of ways. Most are fixers, working with visitors who bring in broken items for help. The rest help out managing logistics, including registering visitors, supporting the fixers, and generally doing whatever else needs to get done.
It's not a big commitment; our events are just 21⁄2 hours long, with some set-up and take-down on either end. It's not expected that you come to every repair session, although some of our volunteers do - and why not, as it's really fun!
Become a Volunteer Fixer
- Do you like to fix and tinker with things? Would you like to have a go at fixing broken household goods that folk bring into the repair cafe and teach them the art of repair?
- Specialist and all-round skills welcome in fixing household items such as clothing/textiles, jewellery, books, shoes, bikes, small furniture, computers, electronics, small appliances and more!
- We would also love it if you could run a workshop on basic repair and maintenance skills. We reckon it would be great to teach people how to look after their stuff before things break or wear out.
Help Host a Repair Session
- We are also looking for volunteers to provide general support at our events or behind the scene.
- Tasks to help with include event planning and set-up, visitor registration, refreshments (eg offering coffee or baked goods around to folk), promotion/communications, photography/video, etc.
- Are you a keen social media user? We'd love your assistance in promoting us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like.
Contribute your Ideas
- Would you like to write something for our blog? We welcome submissions of articles or musings - just contact us via email.
- Finally, if you've got a strategic and planning bent, contact us via email or our Facebook group to join our working group and be part of the future of the Portsmouth Repair Cafè!